Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Indian Winter

A look back at the last one month

Winter is probably the best time to visit the country- especially the southern regions which hardly ever see temperatures dropping below 20 degrees centigrade, even on the coldest of days. Any other year, I would have simply loved it.

But this year isn't every year. This time its different. I would gladly give up the splendid tropical weather for the snow and ice of Lausanne. No amount of vacationing at home, being surrounded by family, being pampered by parents, can lure me into staying here a minute longer than what is necessary. This time its different.

Because I have come here leaving Aswini behind. I left her behind in a new town, a new country- left her to figure out everything on her own. Find her own way to school. Find her own way to the grocery store. Find her own way to the gas station. Cook her own food. Get by on her own without knowing the language. All this in a place where I have lived for almost three years. A place I know well enough to be of great help to her. At a crucial time in her career when I HAVE to help her in anyway I can. Worst of all, I left her behind as soon as we finally got to be in the same continent, let alone the same city, following a prolonged and frustrating long-distance relationship.

A farm in a village near Patiala, Punjab in northern India

But we both knew this needed to be done. I traveled this great country from the north to south, from Madras to Hyderabad to Delhi to Punjab, in the last 20 days- in order to get things done. Important things. Professional as well as personal. A lecture here, a common friend's wedding there. One of us needed to hold good on commitments here. Most of all, one of us needed to be present here for the most important of decisions made by our respective families concerning our relationship and our future together. And I was the only one between the two of us who wasn't booked 7 days a week from 8 AM to 1 AM.

Finally, its all done. Adios India!

No comments:

Post a Comment